Restaurant Review ~
Civic Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Mon & Thu above Car Service City,
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Overview of Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Northern Sandton.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Not with practice!
Yes, you too CAN Speak in Public!
Learn to speak in a
relaxed, fun environment. Meet at 18:45 2nd and 4th Monday of each month
at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, with Transformers Toastmasters.
Call Judith Taylor on 082 389 3481 or
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops and Shopping in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton:
Grayston Shopping Centre
Atholl Square Shopping Centre
Sandhurst Centre, Rivonia Rd
Shopping in and around Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Centre
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Donate at
Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Avenues, Craighall. Phone:
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts”! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
For more, email Fay.
As I type this, the news has come on the radio and TimesLive that South
African rugby legend, scrumhalf, and Springbok captain Joost van der Westhuizen
has died in Johannesburg at the age of 45, after a heroic struggle against motor
neurone disease (MND). Our condolences to his family and the many for whom
he is a hero and role model.
Talking about death, perhaps we can prevent some:
Death by Chocolate
“Chocolate isn’t good for dogs”. In fact, chocolate is highly toxic to dogs (and other pets); depending on
the size of the animal and the amount consumed, ingestion can be fatal. The
higher the percentage of cocoa solids present in the chocolate, the more
dangerous. Just 7g (1-2 blocks!!) of 70% dark chocolate would kill a Yorkie
puppy weighing 1kg. If a 60kg Boerboel raided the pantry or sniffed out one of
those Holiday-Season-sized 500g bars, he could also face an untimely death if
not rushed to a veterinary clinic immediately. Milk chocolate is slightly less
serious, with a toxic dose of around 60g per kg of the pet’s weight, but should
nonetheless be kept well away from curious snouts! Under no circumstances should chocolate ever be given to pets as a treat!
(Information from our web page for
Rivonia Village Vets, Sunninghill Village Vets, and Village Vetshop)
According to a top psychologist, the human brain starts
working the moment you’re born and never stops until you stand up to speak in
front of an audience. (Toastmasters could help – see second column advert on
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Steers Fast Food Steak Restaurant and take-away, Shop LG12, Lower Level in The Colony, Craighall are rebuilding at the moment, so if the phone is not answered, that's why!.
- Hair 121 has become C Connoisseurs Studio, Shop 01A, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre
– Unisex hairstylist under the same management.
- Dong Sheng Sushi Bar & Chinese Restaurant, moved from East Block to Main block in Sloane Square – all kinds of Chinese food, but still no email address.
- Taste of India Bryanston in Sloane Square – Indian Restaurant & Take Away.
Mild, medium or HOT, all food is Halaal.
- Bryanston Post Office, East Block in Sloane Square
– also Bryanston Post Office Boxes, postal code 2021.
- The Energy Shop, East Block in Sloane Square
– 1st Floor. Data Management Systems for energy monitoring and automatic
- Biltong Warriors, East Block in Sloane Square – 1st Floor. Little is known of this secretive company, which has no web presence and is suspected to be a CiA front company.
- Capoeira Valente, East Block in Sloane Square – 1st Floor. Brazilian martial art.
- The Bread Basket, Ground in Sloane Square – Bakery, bread, pastries, restaurant, deli, coffee shop with breakfasts, light meals, sandwiches, etc.
- Security Depot, Ground in Sloane Square – security fencing, CCTV, garage motors, some hardware and electrical.
- Physiotherapist, Ground in Sloane Square.
Moved from upstairs.
- Mac Schoolwear, Suite 11 Upstairs in Sloane Square – General schoolwear. Schoolwear for :Brescia House, El Zera, Randburg Privaat Akademie, St Ursula's.
- Pick n Pay Liquor, Shop 06, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre
– Liquor store.
- N R Cellular, Shop 10, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Repair centre and accessories for almost any make of cell phone.
- Sorbet Beauty Salon, Shop 21, Ground in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Health & Beauty: Face and body professionals. Massage, aromatherapy, hot stone massage.
Skin Care. Waxing. Nails. Manicure, pedicure. Facials.
- IMobile Repair Centre (Suite 1), 1st Floor in Coachman's Crossing – Cell phone repairs, opening in August 2016.
- Denim, Shop 25, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Ladies boutique: clothes and bags.
- SNOG, Shop 28, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Chic style for 50's and 60's ladies. Quality, limited editions.
- Alpha Man, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – "Strong - Stylish". Men's shirts, ties, cravats.
- Blott, Shop 37, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Toys, bags, stationery and back-to-school requirements.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R190/month!!
6,752 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
** Nino's Rivonia Village, Rivonia Boulevard
We decided to take time out for a Friday lunch and visit Nino's. After going
through the menu extensively, we decided to share the meatball baguette. Drinks
were Appletiser and Two Oceans Sauvignon Blanc. Alas, not even Ollie's wonderful
service could rescue the meatballs - they were indelibly dry. The onions and
green peppers were great and the tomato sauce boiled away. That might explain
the dry meatballs. Nino's service is great and, generally, so is the food.
Just avoid the meatball baguette :).
Contact Details for Nino's.
Funny Language, English...
With our hurried lives,
saying "I'll be with you momentarily” may actually be true!
(since it means “for only a moment”, not “in the next moment”)
Short-Term Accommodation in Morningside Manor, February 2017 ONLY
Large north-facing. Bedroom with en suite full bathroom. Split-level lounge/dining area. Kitchen, patio, garden and carport. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced
(including washing). Close to shops and bus routes. To Let for one person or two
for FEBRUARY. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
- Mash Braai House in Sloane Square
– Grill, steakhouse. The menu theme is braai-style.
- Liquor City Sloane Cellars in Sloane Square – The place to buy anything to drink, mostly alcoholic.
- Maharaja Restaurant in Sloane Square – Quality Indian restaurant. Taken over by Taste of
- Cell Shack (Kiosk 2) in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Vodacom Chatz Connect - in courtyard outside Pick n Pay.
- Cell Clinix, Shop 10 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – An independent out of warranty and liquid damage repair centre for cell phones.
- Legends Studio, Shop 21 in Epsom Downs Shopping Centre – Lipo, laser, and lashes. Non-surgical slimming.
- Idelic Fruit & Nuts, Shop 07C in Bryanston Shopping Centre.
- Vendange, Shop 16 in Bryanston Shopping Centre – food, wine, olive oil and accessories, and other decor items. Boutique Vineyards Trudeau cheese and baguette board range, glassware, ceramics, Champagne buckets, wooden wine crates, kitchen tables.
- African Queen Boutique, Shop 18 in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Hats, sandals, and bags mostly made by disadvantaged communities to create employment. Luxury with a conscience.
- CaraMia Fine Gifting, Shop 20 in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Quality and style: Jewellery boxes, cosmetic bags, travel accessories, umbrellas, homeware, corporate gifts and men’s and ladies’ gifting.
- The Bubble Shop Bryanston, Shop 25 in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Bathroom Accessories: Bath crystals, bubble bath pearls and oils, lotions, imported soaps, potpourri, aromatherapy. Gifts.
- Bushwillow, Shop 28 in Bryanston Shopping Centre
– Gifts & toys, clothing, field guides & multimedia, birding accessories,
jewellery, linen inspired by the South African bushveld and its unique
Get Your Own Web Page for only R285/month!
A web page
on the longstanding and trusted Megaplex website will give your
business extra weight with Google! Quickly increase your web presence! Minimum commitment only 3 months. e-mail us, or
Julius says Jacob must
look at the fees-ability of fee-free higher education.
Reminder: New Business Newsletter
In the latter half of the month, as a public service to
help our readers, we will issue the second edition of our new newsletter: "Doing Business in Sandton".
It will have
internet and other tips and tricks to help your shop or other business grow and
prosper, and be useful if you are thinking of starting a small
business or creating an extra online income. Subscribe here.
Civic: Home Preparation for a Person with a Visual Impairment,
We have been concerned about those less abled than we are, so here's
something to think about. Please note that this article applies to a visually
impaired person rather than a totally blind one.
Four Home Preparation Tips to Accommodate a Person with a Visual
Impairment by Jackie Waters of Toastmasters and
If you are trying to prepare a home for a person with a
visual impairment, you need to know that there are several options
for modifications and accommodations. You
may also enlist the help of a personal care assistant or professional caregiver
who can help guide you through the process of preparing your home and who can
help your loved one adjust to a new space. Our home preparation tips will help
you make your loved one with a visual impairment feel more confident and
Tip 1: Purchase Specialized Kitchen Tools
The kitchen poses special challenges for visually impaired people.
Specialized kitchen tools such as knives with cutting guides that aid
in cutting foods properly and precisely, make
preparing food easier. Oven mitts that extend to the elbow help prevent burns,
and cutting shields guard fingers from cuts. Nesting measuring cups and spoons
in bright colours make it easier to know which size to choose, and measuring cups
with large print and sliding rings that mark measurements help people with
visual impairment prepare meals precisely.
You also can prepare your kitchen by purchasing large print
cookbooks or placing a lamp with an adjustable neck and a magnifier on the
counter. Talking timers and talking thermometers are helpful tools for cooking food properly.
person with visual impairment also can set a talking timer to remember to turn
off burners and the oven when food is done cooking.
Tip 2 next month...
Overheard at the Checkout
"Hi, how have you
"I was in hospital for surgery, but I'm better now."
"Nothing serious, I hope?"
"No, just male problems."
"Really? Surgery can fix that? You mean you now stop and ask for directions?"