Restaurant Review ~
Home Tip ~
Practical Effective Self-Defence
KRAV MAGA Instructors:
Mike & Walter
SMS or phone 084 211 8888
Car Service City
off Witkoppen Rd. Paulshof,
near Cambridge Crossing.
Links to Other Pages:
Megaplex Home – Shops, Facilities, and Accommodation in Sandton.
Shopping Centres in and near Bryanston:
Nicolway Shopping Centre
Hobart Grove Centre
Bryanston Shopping Centre
Riverside Shopping Centre
Hurlingham Pick 'n Pay Centre
Bryanpark Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres and Shops in and near Rivonia:
Rivonia Village Shops
Rivonia Oriental City
Early Dawn Mall
Shops in Central Rivonia
Shops in Northern Rivonia
Petervale Shopping Centre
Shopping Centres in
Morningside Shopping Centre
The Wedge, Morningside
Morning Glen Mall
90 Degrees on Rivonia
Shops in the Morningside Area
Speak Well – Become a Leader!
Transformers Toastmasters meets 2nd and 4th
Monday of each month at Morningside Country Club, de la Rey Road, at
18:30 for 18:45. Future leaders are welcome! Contact Judith Taylor
on 082 389-3481 or
Shopping Centres in the Woodmead area:
Woodmead Value Mart
Woodmead Super Value Centre
Woodmead Commercial Park
Woodmead Retail Park
The Bridge, Buccleuch
Other Shops in Woodmead
Shopping Centres in Central Sandton and
Grayston Shopping Centre
The Colony, Craighall Park
Almost all of us will one day need a blood transfusion
– Yet only 1% of people donate blood!
Make a difference to society! Your nearest donor centre is at
The Colony, cor Jan Smuts & Rothesay Aves, Craighall.
Shopping Centres in Sunninghill:
Sunhill Shopping Centre
Chilli Lane Shopping Centre
Chilli on Top Centre
Restaurants in Rivonia,
Codfather Village of Restaurants,
Restaurant reviews for Rivonia
Morningside Restaurant reviews
Other Places of Interest:
Sandspruit Hiking Trail,
Ernest Ullmann Park Recreation Centre,
Montrose Nursery Garden Centre and Gia's Coffee Shop
We are open 7 days a week and offer “Fresh Haircuts”! We also have other value-added services and specials. Please call 011 803 5015
for more information. We are down in the lower level in the main block down the escalators. Plenty of parking in the
Basement in Sunninghill Village.
If a cat's motto is "when in doubt, wash", then it seems that the motto of
many shopping centres is, "when in doubt, rebuild"! If at all possible,
rebuild while still trying to run the shopping centre too!
Fourways Mall (not listed on the
Megaplex website) was a forest of cranes the last time we visited, and seemed to
have been converted into a skyscraper parking garage. The shops still
claimed to be in there somewhere, but we couldn't find them and finally beat an
in Paulshof continues to operate with 75% of its shops. Finding them behind the
shuttering is an interesting exercise, though not quite as arduous as in Fourways.
The majority of the car park has been excavated and rebuilt as basement parking,
with an upper level that will become shops and parking. The relocated ramp goes up to
the remaining upper level parking, surrounded by construction site, behind which
cower the shops!
The Wedge, Morningside
is doing much the same thing on a grander scale. The upper level
parking has been excavated down to approximately street level and rebuilt as
basement parking, on top of which the former upper parking will probably be restored.
In the meanwhile, shops have been relocated to the eastern end of the centre,
clustered around the lower parking nearest to Rivonia Road, while the centre is
being rebuilt around their ears. Clicks seems to be in its final
--larger-- location, while most of the others are probably yet to make their final moves.
On the left-hand side of
Petervale Shopping Centre,
Doornspruit Cellars and the late lamented Berliner Grill & Deli / Sandton
Butchery have been replaced by Pick ‘n Pay Liquor and a "Pick ‘n Pay Local" --a
"Woolworthsy" take on a small supermarket, butchery and bakery:
n Pay is OPEN at PETERVALE CENTRE!
Corner Frans Hals & Cambridge Roads, Petervale.
Contact Zotos Property Management for further information or leasing enquiries: 011 463 2124 /
is gradually nearing completion. The ground floor alterations are
almost done and most of the shops have survived, though it is not a place to eat
out at present. The new exclusive second floor banking level is complete
and operating, you just have to find it! In between, the upper level
(first floor) is currently in reconstruction, with Toys 'R' Us the sole
Little Sandton Court
(behind the Shell garage on Rivonia Road opposite South Road) Morningside is
also in on the act, with the southern end, where the car dealers were, now an
excavation. The Land Rover dealership has fled further south on Rivonia
Road. A find in the near vicinity is Metro Restaurant (see
When cross-dressers hold a fête, do they have drag races?
Single Room with Bathroom to Let Now in Morningside Manoror
Cosy Bedroom with en suite
half bathroom. Shared kitchen, dining room, lounge, patio, and garden. Secure, carpeted, fully furnished and serviced
(including laundry). Close to shops, restaurants and bus routes. Call 082 389 3482, e-mail us, or
New on the Block, Movers and Shakers Back to top
- Maps and Travel, Flight Centre, and Absolute Pets, in Rivonia Village have moved to the south end between Clicks and Checkers Liquor, where Minuteman Press and Wingate Computers were before moving up a level.
- 7th Avenue Medical Centre has moved and is now Rivonia Medical, Sports & Therapy Centre in Rivonia Boulevard corner 10th Ave – large variety of medical services.
- Pick ‘n Pay Liquor, Shop 15, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – Replaced Doornspruit Cellars.
- Pick ‘n Pay Local, Shop 14, Ground in Petervale Shopping Centre – Compact upmarket department store with butchery and bakery. Groceries, snacks, soft drinks, household cleaners and washing material, small appliances, pool care.
- Classic Hair & Beauty, Shop 48, Upper Level in Morning Glen Mall – Hairdressers; beauty care, skin care and nails under one roof.
- The Crazy Store, Lower Level in Morning Glen Mall – Now open: Halloween and Christmas items. Specialized gifts. Reading glasses, Sunglasses, novels, birthday cards. Party things, bathroom, sewing, picture frames, baby range, candles. Dog and cat toys, gardening, braai, hardware, kitchen. Plastic ware, sweets, glassware, clocks, boys' & girls' toys.
- Rivonia Auto Parts, Building B in Rivonia Crossing 2 – Castrol, NGK spark plugs, Ferodo brakes, Hella, GUD filters, LuK, Gabriel shock absorbers.
- The Little Field Mouse Market Pop Up Shop, Lower Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Ladies boutique. Gifts. Crafts.
- Mirror Me, Shop 37, Upper Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – Makeup, lipstick, ear piercing, nail bar.
- Madison Avenue Night Club – 19 Wessels Road, Rivonia: Upmarket Night Club, Tuesday (students), Friday & Saturday.
- Capitec Bank, Shop 04, Lower Level in Bryanston Shopping Centre – The bank with the lowest fees and the longest hours (for individuals only). Also the massively over-officious attitude to FICA.
- Roark Gyms - Johannesburg Women’s Gym, North Wing in Parkmore Mews – Functional training gym for women.
- Minuteman Press Parkmore, Shop 17, South Wing in Parkmore Mews – Business communications services.
- Fingers & Toes, Shop G09, Ground in Coachman's Crossing – Nail Studio, Health & Beauty. Nails, Hands & Feet.
- WashokuKYO Japanese Restaurant, Shop G19, Ground in Coachman's Crossing – Japanese Noodles, Chinese food, starters, soups, sushi.
- Biltong-R-Us, Ground in Coachman's Crossing – a large variety of different flavours of biltong, chilli bites, dry wors and cabanossi.
- Ladies & Gents Suits Specialist, Shop 10B in The Bridge Shopping Centre.
- Zip Boutique, Ground in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – Mostly ladies' clothing.
- Kelvin Pharmacy in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – All your pharmaceutical requirements.
- Rods & Rides at the Shell Garage under Bryanston Shopping Centre – Buy and sell Classic Cars, Hotrods, Harley-Davidsons, man-cave items and motor memorabilia.
Advertise Economically on the Megaplex website!
Only R1000+VAT per year for a topmost banner or R500+VAT for another banner!
or call 082 389-3482. Last
year our Woodmead Value Mart page had 36,324 unique visitors, Morning Glen Mall had 18,563, Woodmead Retail Park 18,153.
Restaurant Reviews by Judith Back to top
**** Metro Restaurant Morningside, Hill Road opposite Morningside Mediclinic
We arrived here to find ourselves the only diners for the evening. This was
following an excursion intended to take us to the Codfather, but parking there
was inappropriate for me, so we left and visited Benmore Gardens, which only had
a Thai Restaurant for sit-down. Benmore Gardens is currently a building site. So we
backtracked to Metro.
We were made very welcome by everyone and impressed by the sweeping
staircase, which is built for New Year's Eve as you can go up one side and come
down on the other! They have a breakfast menu as well as one for later meals.
Worth going to, if only to look through the wide range of dishes available,
including specifically local flavoured ones. Some dishes have truly creative names!
Drinks were Appletiser and Laborie Sauvignon Blanc. We ordered Alfredo
without pasta for me and Mascarpone Chicken with fettuccine for me partner. Both
were excellent and we took what we couldn't manage home with us.
Wellington was an enthusiastic waiter who followed up our queries
Contact Details for Metro Restaurant Morningside.
**** Monkey Bluz, Rivonia Boulevard
This has replaced Rocket, which has moved to Hobart Grove and become Rockets!
It has followed a growing trend to invest in really heavy chairs! Thobani was
our waiter and proved very attentive. The atmosphere is definitely helped by
good but not overloud music. However the smoking section leaks somewhat.
We ordered Appletiser and Porcupine Sauvignon Blanc. The latter is one of my
favourites. My partner ordered the Blue Basket for one, which was not entirely
successful as they did not have boerewors and replaced it with an unpleasant
chilli cheesegriller. However the rest was enjoyed.
I ordered Tempura, which was a disaster. I simply could not eat it. After a
discussion with the manager, it was replaced with the most heavenly and
delicious grilled prawns in lemon butter sauce. I would thoroughly recommend
For attention to customer needs, they cannot be faulted. Definitely an adult
restaurant for that special night out.
Contact Details for Monkey Bluz Restaurant and Cocktail Bar.
Funny Language, English.....
If something once considered "preposterous" comes
true (e.g. Brexit, Trump as President), is it now "postposterous"?
Get a FREE Loyalty Card that Gives you up to 5% Cash Back!
Up to 5% of your spend back when shopping at selected merchants, plus one to 15 Shopping Points
per R1000, to use on special offers. The card is honoured in 47 countries and powered by Lyoness, the global shopping community. To get one,
click here and send the resulting email (or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Lyoness Cashback Card" in the Subject).
We will reply with your personalised invitation to apply on-line.
- Piza e Vino Restaurant in The Wedge, Morningside – Large Italian restaurant with an outside seating area.
- Mannelis Italian Restaurant in The Bridge Shopping Centre – Pizza and Pasta of all kinds, Prego roll, chips, salads, toasted sandwiches, hot drinks.
- Tsunami Seafood Emporium at 4 Hill Road, opposite MediClinic Morningside – Fish restaurant, sushi, teppanyaki, and mediocre service.
- Genki Japanese Restaurant, Shop G19 in Coachman's Crossing
- Health WakeUp in Morning Glen Mall – "Health" products, "detox and cleansing", dubious health advice.
- Just Biltong kiosk in Bryanston Shopping Centre – in the atrium outside Red Square, Lower Level.
- Perfect 10 in Coachman's Crossing – Nail and Body Studio.
- Casa Dell'uomo in Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre – "House of Man" was a luxury mens' clothing store.
- Doornspruit Cellars in Petervale Shopping Centre – Comprehensive liquor store.
- NJA WorldNet Internet Café, Shop 03B in The Bridge Shopping Centre – Internet cafe and computer spares.
- NEB - Nezo Elegant Boutique, Shop U01 in Kelvin Village Shopping Centre – Ladies' clothing.
- Dr Bob's Pet Deli in Rivonia Village has been taken over by Absolute Pets.
Advertise in this Monthly e-Newsletter from only R380/month!
6,330 subscribers, many of them dedicated Sandton Shoppers! e-mail us, or
asks, "If the cardinal rule when buying property is 'location, location,
location', how come nobody wants to buy a house in a Location?"
Civic News: Billing Day on 11 November has been CANCELLED
From Cllr Vincent Earp, Ward Cllr for Sandton:
The Billing and Revenue Day scheduled to be held at the Field and Study Centre on Saturday 11 November has been cancelled. The Mayor is moving billing problem-solving back to the City Regions for resolution.
When this happens (soon, I hope) residents should visit their City Regional Offices (Region B is at cnr Jan Smuts and Bram Fischer Aves, Randburg; Region E is at 137 Daisy St, Sandton)
to log their query and get a reference number. The Mayor said the Billing and Revenue Days should be every day. The Regional Walk-in Centres must be the first point of call and Revenue Staff will be moved back there.
Road Closure Warning! 94.7 Cycle Challenge on Sunday 19 November
This event takes place every year and every year there are residents and businesses that get caught out. Jan Smuts / Braam Fischer / Homestead will be completely closed for 21 km from Braamfontein to William Nicol from about 5am to 3pm. This effectively cuts the city in
two and the only way to get across Jan Smuts via vehicle is at Smit St in Braamfontein in the south and the N1 in Fourways in the North. Pedestrians are allowed across
--you could drive to Jan Smuts, then park and walk (maybe).
Cllr Tim Truluck's advice is to plan your day around the closure and don't fight it.
Pop up to Jan Smuts and cheer the cyclists. You can even sponsor a team who are riding for charity.
Visit www.cyclechallenge.co.za to view the route map to avoid the
road closures. The map includes spectator and support location points along the route:
The organisers encourage you to go to one of these points to enjoy the spirit of the event.
There is a Call Centre at 011 017 2700. You can download the 947 app, and follow #CCTraffic on Twitter to get live updates.
Give R10 to SA Guide Dogs for the Blind! SMS 'SEE' to 38051
Imported Books at Bargain Prices in Bryanston
Albizia Book Bargains
will have a stall in the main court (Checkers level) at Bryanston Shopping Centre, William Nicol & Ballyclare until 9 November and again 9 to 19
December. They are there until about 2 pm on Saturdays and Sundays, weekdays until about 5 pm.
Overheard at the Checkout:
was the visit to the doctor?"
"He told me I had a textbook case of xenophobia!"
"I said, 'I don’t know what that is, but I’ll bet I caught it from one of those